Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mental Health Counseling

"It is as though he listened,
And such listening as his enfolds us in a silence
In which at last we begin to hear
What we are meant to be"

Carl Rogers translates Sun Tzu to describe the ideal therapist.

"I cannot live my life in abstractions. So real relationships with persons, hands dirtied in the soil, observing the budding of a flower, or viewing the sunset, are necessary to my life."

Carl Rogers on why abstract thought is only half the process.

"He who imposes himself has the small manifest might; he who does not impose himself has the great secret might."

Carl Rogers translates Lao Tzu, again to describe the methodology of the great therapist.

My classes have stimulated and invigorated my mind. I love this.

I have recently begun to try and grasp the theories of behaviorism and psychopathology. At one point, I would have disagreed with the tenets put forth by both of these. Behaviorism I have actually begun to reconcile with my own beliefs more recently. But psychopathology, the idea of diagnosing mental illnesses has rubbed me the wrong way for quite a while.

I am trying to elucidate a conceptualization I have recently come upon. An author of a textbook mentions that sanity and insanity are like night and day. We can clearly differentiate one from the other, but as we approach that buffer zone, distinctions become hazy. I feel that there is great significance in that region. This is so directly analogous to transitioning from particle-electron behavior to wave-electron behavior. Probabilities show up anywhere, but they still follow a statistical pattern.

Furthermore, I think we can apply this spectrum, at the center of which lies our hazy event horizon, to conceptualize cultural/universally human characteristics. We lie directly at the center, where we draw from both, but are still consistently both and neither...

Words are failing me. I need to come back to this.

No comments: