Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Contentions with Psychology as a Discipline

It is a worthy and necessary task, to better understand my own discomfort with "psychology." This will point towards a clarification of psychology and differentiate it from the psychology of the masses. When I can reflect and contemplate, the dynamic processes of mind, culture, development, growth, and existential meaning can be more accurately intuited.

I've given up for long enough, I've had my rest. Fervid, I can return to my determination, to apply my mind to the questions of life, which are desecrated by "psychology" and it's gross simplification of existence.

This is my frustration with psychology, as elucidated by Phaedrus:
"he could think of possible way he could tell them what they should work toward without falling back on didactic teaching. But how can you put on the blackboard the mysterious internal goal of each creative person?"

Indoctrinating children with the social norms of our society may be an adequate lifestyle for the "psychologists" with which I work, but it is neither adequate for me nor deserving of the term "psychology." Psychology is an exploration of the intimate questions of the mind, it is critical and profound. It is not rote repetition. Perhaps it is satisfying for these others, but my own needs for understanding are greater.

The most pressing question perhaps: How to elicit the best in and empower others, socially, psychologically, physiologically... Rather than judging them by perceived weaknesses.

No comments: