Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Injuries

I have recently come upon several injuries that have severely altered my training. I have only recently begun to take this as a lesson. It is one that I am intensely grateful for.

The first injury within this series occurred as the result of a bicycle accident. On my way to Breakthrough early one rainy morning, my bike slid out. I was in the right lane of the road at a turn, and was hurtled forward into the left lane, directly in front of an oncoming car that thankfully stopped before colliding into me.

I quickly got up and went on my way, checking for injuries only after arriving late to work. I hurt my knee a bit, but more disabling, although I did not yet realize it, was the injury to my left hand. It was intensely bruised and swollen. It would prevent me from almost any training for a few weeks.

Soon following came the accumulation of unrelenting stress on my right shoulder. In my conditioning, I began too quickly putting inordinate burdens on my shoulders: handstand presses, pikes, hollow-backs, rais, ponte, walkovers, etc. I noticed a clicking in my shoulder but refused to relent. One morning I awoke to sharp pains restricting the range of motion in my right shoulder. Diagnosis: torn rotator cuff.

As I begin to recuperate, with elastic band rehabilitative exercises, I attempt to compensate by intensifying my leg training: parkour, pistols, jumps, kicks, etc. I begin to notice a slight twinge in my right buttock, especially when throwing kicks. I assume the injury is a bruise (wondering when I might have taken such an injury). Two days ago I am trying to fall asleep, when I notice the twinge has become more intense. This morning I rose to find the pain quite debilitating: I am unable to walk, sit, stand, or climb stairs without pain. Tentative diagnosis: periformis tear/strain.

Now I sit, aware of an upcoming batizado, wondering if I will be capable of performing...

So what do I take from this?

My training is unbalanced and inflexible. I try to fit in as many hours of training as possible into the day, and I am suffering the accumulated strains, wear, and tear.

The most salient mentality is one of rushing to attain a lofty vision or goal. Time is limited, I am aging. Regardless, it is of no benefit to rush. Take it slow. I realize now that in order to have a physiologically and psychologically sustainable practice, I need more balance and less rigidity.

I look forward to experimenting with this new approach.

No comments: