Sunday, July 13, 2008

Laundry Bar induced thoughts

I had gone out for the first time in a while to a drum and bass party at Laundry Bar Friday evening. It was rather intense. At some point in the evening, a thought struck me, and it carried me away. I felt compelled to write it down, so here it is:

Discipline is rarely a beautiful process. It is only beautiful when it is smooth. And when it is smooth, perhaps that is after all the real work has been done. When your discipline is smooth, then you pursue for the mere sake of the love of your art.

After having written the thought, the feeling it had elucidated escaped my grasp. This often happens, when I jot down the ideas that create some soulful resonance within me. But I quickly came to decide that this was not significant. I returned myself to the present moment, and found that sufficient.

In retrospect, I think the element of discipline is quite rich for exploration and abstraction. I had this conception of discipline as something clean and smooth and pure, but that is only the fruit of the labor. Discipline is messy business. And the messier it is, the more I want to be involved.

No comments: