Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Integration

I am looking to integrate my study of psychology with movement, and the product of this amalgamation with social work. I do not know the path, I do not know if this is something realistic. But I suppose I shall use this space to document my efforts.

1. Social contribution is the apex of human potential. There is no further satisfaction in life than helping your neighbor.

2. Capoeira has been an art of liberation for slaves for several hundred years. It contains philosophy, community, discipline, and joy. Parkour, a newly emerging interpretation of movement (www.parkour.net, www.urbanfreeflow.com, www.americanparkour.com) also serves a similar purpose, although the two disciplines maintain many differences.

3. There are many demographics that I believe stand to benefit from the introduction of a therapeutically motivated discipline that integrates movement, philosophy, psychology, existentialism.

4. I do not know if such a discipline should focus primarily on physical discipline as a medium for therapy, or therapy as a medium for physical discipline. I do not yet know how much emphasis should be placed where, and what role each dimension should play.

5. The populations that I believe stand to benefit the most: disadvantaged youth, autistic persons, the terminally ill, depressed persons. The population that I feel most inspired to help, however, is that neglected and forgotten children. My motivation comes mainly from the Invisible Children campaign documentary, but also from my own experience in assessing students in alternative high schools. It is my belief that the majority stand to benefit from the introduction of some form of physical discipline. Discipline in this case should not be confused with authoritarian hierarchy or power conflict, but rather implies a self-generated form of focus.

6. I am still in the process of bringing together many loose thoughts. This should not be considered some final destination in my search. Rather, this is nothing more than a single step, an experiment in my attempt to solidify and actualize my goals.

7. I have never felt as good in my life as when I have listened, played with, or taught a young person. Whether it has been my efforts as an assessor at an alternative high school in Miami, or helping the younger children of our capoeira classes, or talking to a kid I met on the bus, metro-rail, or bookstore, or playing some sort of made up game with ever-evolving and adapting rules with the young, I believe that this could qualify as a "calling" in life.

8. When I see the eyes of the children in documentaries that expose their suffering, I cry. My heart is wrenched. Nothing is more moving to my soul than the suffering of the innocent. Except perhaps to see them rise out of their situation with laughter and dance. It is this that I want to offer them. I cannot end a war. I cannot change a dictatorship. I cannot alter our economy. But I can try to introduce laughter and hope in the present moment.

9. It is time for me to go train. I hope that my efforts amount to something.

No comments: